Why did the SE image uploader change the colors in this image?

by pacoverflow   Last Updated July 19, 2015 13:10 PM

Take a look at this image on nasa.gov. The text in the image is yellow, the flight paths are white, and Neptune's orbit is green.

When I try to use the SE image uploader to include the image in a question, the colors change, as you can see here:

enter image description here

The text has turned green, the flight paths are blue, and Neptune's orbit is light blue. Every color changed, actually.

When I uploaded the image directly to imgur.com, the colors did not change.

Why is the SE image uploader changing the colors of this image?

Note: This happens for me with Firefox 39 on both Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.7.5. It also happens in Safari 6.0.2 on OS X.

Answers 3

It seems to do this even if uploaded from your computer:
(FF 39 for OSX)

uploaded image

Linked from URL:

From URL

BUT, if you direct link using the alt code rather than uploading to the servers, it's fine:

Direct link

![Direct link](http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/739459main_acd97-0036-2.jpg)

Catija
Catija
July 18, 2015 19:17 PM

It's my fault... I accept it openly... /me runs away in shame... Sorry about this mess up.

Here is what happened. I hit save instead of cancel in the Pixlr tool which I used for checking res and it got uploaded in Chrome and FF (hires). But later when using Safari I downloaded fresh image, removed all the old ones from my download folder & uploaded it and you can see it's has problem.

Catija & Damkerng T. answers are correct.

Works for me in Google Chrome and Firefox but not in Safari. I just downloaded the image from the direct link and re-uploaded it.

Tech-specs: (just in case needed)

Google Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134 (64-bit)

Firefox 39.0

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late2013) - OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

Here is the image:

enter image description here

Here is how Safari Browser Upload looks:

enter image description here

HackerKarma
HackerKarma
July 18, 2015 19:44 PM

I still don't have a conclusive answer, but this should give enough hints.

After a quick inspection of the two files (original: http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/739459main_acd97-0036-2.jpg, SE's: http://i.stack.imgur.com/iVZTk.jpg), I can see one obvious thing: the EXIF information was stripped out of the SE's version entirely. EXIF tags include several crucial things that may affect how the image will be rendered. Among these are things like WhitePoint, PrimaryChromaticities, ColorMap, WhiteBalance, and ColorSpace. And that is the cause of the problem, IMHO, though I'm not quite sure why and how the EXIF information removal happens when we upload an image.

Anyway, here is my simple workaround: save such an image as PNG first, then upload it. Here is my test result:

enter image description here

Damkerng T.
Damkerng T.
July 19, 2015 14:06 PM

Related Questions

Long image pasted into upload pushes footer up:

Updated April 16, 2015 20:10 PM

Uploading an image to chat clears existing reply

Updated May 16, 2015 21:10 PM

I can type with the image inserter open

Updated July 13, 2015 13:10 PM