How to achieve this effect that looks smoky/blurred and was used in a Balenciaga campaign?

by Chady El Nazir   Last Updated August 06, 2018 02:18 AM

This effect looks like smoke with a little blurring. There are many examples of this because it has been used in some erotic movies.

I don’t know if it’s a lens filter, a specific camera, a technique, or a type of film. How is this effect achieved?

example image 1 example image 2 example image 3

Answers 3

In the 70s that effect was called 'flu', and was made putting cellophane or similar in the front of the lens.

Some photographers used a plain filter with vaseline or even a piece of pantyhose.

March 21, 2018 22:35 PM

You can do this easy enough in post-processing.
In Darktable the 'bloom' effect would give a similar result, in combination with suitable masks (to limit the area and strenght of the effect, like in the first image). I'm not using photoshop, so I can't give any details for that program.

March 22, 2018 07:56 AM

This is a soft focus effect. As roetnig notes, the effect can be achieved by placing a diffusion filter, or other translucent material, in front of the lens.

  • I would recommend against using vaseline.
  • Different colors of sheer stocking materials can be used to modify the effect. This may have been the case in the sample images.
  • The effect may occur unintentionally when moving from a cold environment into a warm one when the lens fogs up from the humidity change.
August 06, 2018 02:14 AM

Related Questions

Vertical chromatic aberration, fixable?

Updated March 04, 2017 12:18 PM

What is this filter?

Updated July 26, 2018 16:18 PM