In a Warcraft 3 LAN game, is there any way to save progress more than once per player?

by vertigoelectric   Last Updated June 17, 2017 11:14 AM

When playing a WC3 LAN match, each player can save the game once, after which the 'Save game' option in the menu is disabled. I fail to see the point in this, and would really like to be able to save more often. This is especially true when one of us has a less-than-reliable connection and may be dropped from the game from time to time.

I have found one workaround, and that is that if we save the game, end the game, then reload/rejoin the saved game the option to save will once again be available (but, of course, only one time, and then the process must be repeated). While this is better than nothing, it can get awfully tedious and annoying to have to do this every time we want to save the game.

Has anybody found any way to get around this limitation? I'm wondering if maybe there's a special hack I don't know about, or maybe some less tedious workaround.

Answers 3

As per the comments:

The one save is per play rather than per map. So after saving, quit, reload and you'll get your save slot back.

This was/is an anti-spam measure because too much saving could cause the game to crash.

While you already know about this, it is your only way.

djsmiley2k
djsmiley2k
April 18, 2013 11:24 AM

The UnlimitedSave mod will do this now.

From the description:

This disables the limitation that prevents you from saving more than once. Only downside is, everybody needs to do it, otherwise the client will disconnect if someone saves for the second time.

573737534947
573737534947
June 16, 2013 13:37 PM

Another alternative could be to use GProxy++, which prevented war3 from dropping disconnected players, and allowed them to get back into the game without having to load a save.

I hosted with it for some time when I used to play DotA, and it worked well. I didn't try it for long, yet, since using Listchecker was "more convinient". Most disconnections were ragequit anyway, so it didn't help me that much.

I think it would work for LAN as well as for BNET Of course, after so much years, I'm not even sure finding some working binaries would be easy now.

I mainly post this so that people are aware such a solution did exist. Maybe someone will comment my answer with links to an actually working solution ?

Here are some articles about it : https://www.ghostpp.com/wiki/index.php?title=GProxy%2B%2B https://www.entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552

Balmipour
Balmipour
June 17, 2017 10:36 AM

Related Questions

My heroes aren't learning from experience

Updated April 28, 2017 01:14 AM

Can I get a replay from a saved game?

Updated April 28, 2017 02:14 AM